Monday, September 29, 2014

Requested "Common Everyday" Meals

On Facebook yesterday a member of a recipe group I'm in posted a message that I completely related to. She is a working wife and mother of 4 whose family is tired of the same things over and over again. Being on an extremely tight budget makes spaghetti, chicken and and chili look pretty good. But, after awhile the family begins to turn up their noses when they see that on the dining room table...again!

Being on a limited budget may limit you on what you can purchase. But, there are ways of using those same ingredients with a twist. Over the next few weeks I will be posting common, everyday meals that use those same ingredients in a different way. There may be things on here that make you say " Of course! Why didn't I think of that!"

My first words of advice are PLAN YOUR MEALS! Throughout the week take some time every day to search recipe sites, blogs, books, magazines and even Pinterest for budget friendly meals. This is a great way to search using ingredients you can afford. Print or bookmark the recipe or website so you can refer to it later. When you find the meals to fill your week write down the ingredients needed. Next, head to the fridge and the pantry to mark off what you have and circle what you need. Once that is done make your master grocery list. It is crucial to shop with a list! If you don't you will buy things, get home, unpack your groceries and be like...."what did I get for meals?!" When you are shopping do your best to stick to the list! I know it is inevitable that you are going to need something that isn't on the list but don't go overboard or you will bust your budget.

With your master grocery list in hand look through your local weekly circulars and search for coupons! www.coupons.com , www.redplum.com  and www.smartsource.com are fantastic websites for printable coupons and you can print twice from each computer/printer. Also, check brand name websites like Pillsbury, Kraft and Betty Crocker. With Thanksgiving around the corner Butterball usually has great coupons! If you shop at Target they have their own coupons on their website.   If you print a coupon for something on your grocery list mark it with a C with a circle around it. This way you won't forget to pull your coupon when you put the item in your basket.  If you shop at Wal-mart see if your location has Scan & Go. With an assigned hand scanner you will get your items off the shelf, scan it yourself and bag it in your basket. The hand scanner shows your total with tax as you go. This is a great way to see if you can afford the things that you don't really need but want.

After you get home and unload your groceries write down your meals on a calender, chalkboard or dry erase board where you can see it everyday. If you get home after work on Tuesday and you don't want to have hamburgers swap it with Wednesdays meal. There is nothing wrong with swapping your meals within the week.
 
 This is the plan that I stick to week after week and it works for my family of 4. I spend 
$20-$30 on pet food, $10-$15 on paper products and toiletries and approximately $60 on food ingredients. I will splurge now and then if I find steaks or roasts or chops on sale. But, I usually hang pretty tight to that budget. One huge money saver for me is I often make meals that yield leftovers for the next day.  If you have a crockpot you can purchase the tougher cuts of meat that are less expensive. I love, love, love mine! I can put a beef roast in on Sunday with carrots and potatoes. Then on Monday I can use the left over roast for yummy roast beef sandwiches or taco's. You could cook a pork roast on Sunday and have BBQ pork sandwiches on Monday. My slow cooker is essential to me and I almost always have leftovers. Let's face it who really wants to cook after a long Monday at work?

I would love to hear the tips and tricks that you guys have!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment